We all know what are bookmarks. (little bit same as social bookmarking) We like an article; we add it in our bookmark section to read it whenever we want. But what if you are not carrying your laptop with you and the same article cannot be accessed on your mobile and unfortunately, your laptop is not with you. Do you know you can keep all your bookmarks in one place? Yes, and that is what we are going to know more about in today’s topic.
What is Social Bookmarking?
Social bookmarking is a process wherein your favorite websites can be tagged with one browser tool. Since all your favorite websites are in one place and online, you can access them anywhere and on any device. Bookmarking platforms have become online communities where you can even share bookmarks.
Social bookmarking is a wonderful tool as it lets you search and gather information in one place. Apart from this, one can also organize the content and share it with others.
On these bookmarking sites, there are discussion threads that will help you in finding out your interests and you can get to know more about the topics which you are interested in with the help of other people who have similar interests.
How to do social bookmarking?
To start with bookmarking, there are a few steps which are as follows:
Step 1: Select a bookmarking site and create your account
Step 2: Upload links in your profile
Step 3: You can connect with your Facebook or other social media sites
Step 4: Tag the links on different sites using keywords
Step 5: Social bookmarking sites generally provide popular keywords which can be tagged to increase the traffic
Social bookmarking sites:
There are many bookmarking sites that can be used. Some of the examples of social bookmarking links around the world are as follows:
- Pinterest is a website which uses images and infographics.
- Twitter is micro blogging website where people can share their posts which are called tweets.
- StumbleUpon can be accessed with the signing in on Gmail, Twitter or Facebook account.
- Dribble can be used to by designers to show their artwork.
- Reddit is used by people to connect with other people. The communities are created by the like-minded people and threads are created.
- Slashdot is a social news website which covers the different topics like science, technology or politics.
- Pocket was also known as Read it Later. This website lets its users store and share different web bookmarks.
In India, the popular social bookmarking sites are:
These are some of the examples of social bookmarking sites.
Social bookmarking Benefits
We have understood the meaning of social bookmarking and the process of the same. Let’s have a look at the different benefits of bookmarking:
- All the bookmarks are in one place and can be accessed on any device at any place as long as you have an internet connection
- Social bookmarking can be used to collaborate with influencers as it gives a boost to your network.
- It gives you the ability to share the content online with many people in one go. All you need is one relevant keyword.
- Once a page is bookmarked, the Google engine starts its indexing process to assess the value of the keyword. Social bookmarking helps in increasing the speed of Google indexing.
- This also helps in increasing the visibility of the webpage and traffic.
- Its a huge advantage to digital marketers as there are many SEO benefits also.
Social bookmarking in SEO
Social bookmarking helps you in bookmarking your content on bookmarking sites. This means that the bookmarked content is public and anyone who has access to that bookmarking site has access to it. As mentioned before also, it helps in increasing the traffic and visibility of the content.
Search Engine Optimization or SEO is a process that helps in increasing the visibility of the website on the internet. With so many websites and products on the internet, it is a must that every tool is used to increase the visibility of the website and content.
Social bookmarking for SEO is a wonderful tool. Regular and relevant bookmarking helps the SEO as social bookmarks tell search engines if the content is valuable. Once search engine algorithms start to find your content, the indexing process speeds up. Thus, increasing the credibility of your content and website.
Why we do social bookmarking in SEO?
Social bookmarking is an important step in the process of SEO. It lets you understand the trends in a particular industry. This helps in creating content that is popular and hence increasing the visibility of the website. The reasons for using social bookmarking for SEO are given below:
- Finding relevant content with the help of bookmarking
- Content curation with the help of relevant content
- Creating backlinks with the help of social bookmarking sites
- Increase in website traffic
- Expansion in brand reach
- Interaction with potential influencers
- More eyeballs for the created content
- Social bookmarking is a white hat technique as it uses relevant information with unique page titles
- Bookmarking is the simplest and easiest way to create good content with an increase in traffic
How does social bookmarking work?
A social bookmarking service works the same way as a regular bookmarking service, but instead of just bookmarking websites, you save them on your computer and then access them later.
When you visit a website or blog that you want to bookmark, just hit the “Bookmark this page” link and then add the website or blog to your list of bookmarks.
You can also use the “Share this page” link to share this page with other people on Facebook, Twitter, and other social media sites.
You can also use the “ follow this page” link to get notified when this website or blog posts new content. This will help you stay up-to-date on what this website or blog has to offer.
How to write social bookmarking content?
There are a few things you need to do in order to make sure your social bookmarking content is effective. First, make sure that you’re including relevant keywords in your content. This will help your readers find the information you’re seeking on your site faster.
Additionally, make sure that your content is easy to read and follow. You should also include clear and concise information about what you’re bookmarking and why it’s important for your business.
Finally, be sure to regularly update your content so that your readers can keep up with the newest changes.
Pro and Cons Of Social Bookmarking in SEO
Here are a few pros of bookmarking in seo. Everything has few advantages, few of them are listed below.
- Social Bookmarking is the best and simple way to share your content. Only you need to register and then sign in, drop your links and you are all set.
- Posting on these social bookmarking sites will help your website in indexing and crawling. It’s the best way to increase your website indexing process.
- Bookmarking is considered in a category of white hat seo technique (legal activity), if done carefully. Many people say it’s a Black hat activity, but it’s not.
- Social Bookmarking websites have great traffic, so sharing your link gives you a lot of exposure to your content. It’s a great way to gather traffic towards your website.
- The #1 Reason for doing social bookmarking is that it gives you backlink for free, all you need to do is sign up. Sharing link without any kind of moderation.
Here are a few cons of bookmarking in SEO. Everything has a few disadvantages, a few of them are listed below.
- Posting with the same meta title and description can hurt your site seo instead of helping your website. So be sure to post unique and catchy titles and descriptions.
- Today most websites are low quality and let you post your link. Always check the authority of the website while posting your link on another website. Preper high authority website to submit bookmarking.
- Nowadays social bookmarking websites have lesser amount of traffic and most of them are useless because people only click your content , go through your content and leave your website without visiting other pages of your site. Which causes high bounce rate and low dwell time.
How do we do social bookmarking in SEO?
Creating the account and then working on the same are the basic steps of bookmarking which have been mentioned above also. but when we use social bookmarking for SEO then we need to take a good look at these:
- Content has to be superior and relevant. It is the most important factor in social bookmarking.
- Headlines are really important as they attract the users to read further. Headlines should be simple and short but at the same time catchy.
- Description has to be on the point. If you look at the fancy menu but the dishes served are bland then the entire process of creating a fancy menu goes to waste.
- The right content in the right category. Make sure to find the correct category so that your content is being read by the people who like the topic.
- Grammatically correct and error-free English will attract more users. People lose interest if there are errors in written English.
- Language should be simple and if possible, in English as it is a universally accepted language.
- Publishing the right thing will help getting more traffic. But in a hurry to publish, never publish the wrong thing as that will lead to less relevancy to the readers and followers.
- Be regular in submitting the content.
The last step of social bookmarking is submitting the content which is very important.
Social bookmarking submission is a process wherein off-page optimization can be done which stores the links on other websites. In these stored links titles, descriptions and keywords can be added which are then recognized by the search engines.
Social bookmarking is a great opportunity for individuals and digital marketers. It is important for SEO as it is a search engine that enhances the chances of getting more traffic and organic search. The industry is evolving every day and social bookmarking is a significant strategy for SEO.
Frequently Asked Questions – FAQs About Social Bookmarking
Who invented social bookmarking?
The first social bookmarking tools were developed in the early 2000s by two friends, Rasmus and Stefan Neuman.
Who coined the term social bookmarking?
The term social bookmarking was coined by Sean Parker in his 2002 book, The Lean Startup.
Is social bookmarking important?
Yes, social bookmarking is an important part of online marketing. By having a large number of Social Bookmarks, you can easily come back to websites and blog posts that you’ve bookmarked later.
What can social bookmarking do?
Social bookmarking can help you get more likes on your page and increase your visibility on social media. It’s a great way to save valuable time because you don’t have to search for the same things again and again.
Does social bookmarking help?
Yes, social bookmarking can help you get more likes on your page and increase your visibility on social media. However, it is important to use social bookmarking wisely to get the most benefit from it.
Is social bookmarking necessary?
There is no definitive answer to this question. Ultimately, it depends on the purposes for which you intend to use social bookmarking. If you just want to bookmark websites so that you can come back to them later, then social bookmarking is not necessary. However, if you are trying to promote a company or product on social media, then using social bookmarking may be a better option.
Is social bookmarking still relevant?
Yes, social bookmarking is still relevant. However, it’s important to use it in a way that will help you increase your visibility and drive more business contact.