When it comes to SEO, it’s really important to optimize your headings. Things like H1 tag, H2 tag, H3 tag and so on and so forth, these are the tags within the HTML that your headings should be optimizing for when it comes to SEO. It’s something Google pays a lot of attention to. We are going to tell you all about your H1 tag.
What is an H1 tag?
The H1 tag is the main headline you see on a web page. It might be a blog post with the main headline of the blog article formatted in H1, it might be a product page where the product’s name or the product or service is highlighted in h1 as well.
Your main headline on a webpage, whenever you go to a page will usually be an H1 tag if done properly. So, it’s the main heading for the focus of page, and it is really important when it comes to SEO as well.
In terms of how that looks from an HTML web page perspective, this is what an H1 tag looks like.
<h1>This is an example</h1>
You will see there is an opening, you will see the text goes in between that, and you will see there is a closing tag. That defines the H1 tag on a page.
If you are not too sure about how to change this or optimize this or tweak it, then speak to your web designer who can tell you where exactly on the page it is and if you want to change it to something specifically, they can go ahead and change that for you. In fact, most website builders like Wix or Weebly have the H tags highlighted across their builder so, you would be able to optimize them yourself as well.
Before we proceed and to avoid any confusion the H1 tag should not be confused with the title tag.
Difference between H1 Tag and Title Tag
- The H1 tag and the Title tag are two different page elements.
- They title tag is shown in the search engine result page (SERPS) but the H1 tag does not.
- The page title is not shown visually on a page but it is a part of the page header and it is also visible in the browser title. The H1 tag is visible to users while browsing a page.
But anyway, why is it so important an H1 tag is optimized for SEO purposes?
Importance of H1 Tag
First of all, you need to do your keyword research. Once you have done your keyword research, you understand the subject or what you are targeting, you can use your H1 tag to optimize your heading towards your chosen keywords.
You need to make sure your prim keyword, the one you really want your page to focus on is within the H1 tag on your page in the main heading because it is a very powerful ranking signal for Google when they look at the content on your page and they see your main heading is covering the subject that you want to rank for.
It is extremely necessary. H1 tags are usually the most visually notable content on your page. You can’t really ignore the H1 tag. The first and important notable element someone notices after lending on your page is H1 Tag.
Things to remember while writing H1 tag
- You should only have one H1 tag per page. It is your main headline. The H1 tag gives basic information about your content or page. You don’t want to confuse Google and give them multiple major headlines across the page.
- The H1 tag should be from 20-70 characters. Make sure to follow the character limits while writing H1 tag. Don’t put in unnecessary keywords. Google won’t like the unnecessary keyword stuffing.
- Use a focused long tail keyword in your H1 tag. Long tail keywords are like the meaningful sentence so, it is beneficial if you use them.
- Your H1 tag should be visible and should be able to stand out. It should be big and strong. It should not be hidden to users. Make your H1 big, bold and noticeable on the top of the page.
- You can style your H1 tag differently than the rest of the content. You can use bigger letters than the rest of the text and heading.
- You should use your headings in hierarchical manner.
- Try to answer user intent with your H1. The language of your H1 should align with user’s intent.
Now, we all know almost everything about H1 tag and why it is important. We hope that you found this article helpful. Use these tips and tricks. They will help to get traffic for your page and improve the ranking of your page. And if you still got any question, comment box is wide open for you. We will be pleased to solve your query.