DOT Compliances, the rules designed by Department of Telecommunication, are quite complex. There have been several times where call centres, as ethical as they were, still lost their business because they couldn’t file the DOT compliance, due to its complexity. They had telecommunication resources, the will to conduct business, and an ethical approach towards their customers, and they thought it was enough.
It never is enough. To maintain a sense of peace as you run your business, you need to be DOT compliant. The DOT compliance is a major topic of concern of Department of Telecommunication. Therefore, in addition to running your business ethically, you should have the capacity to understand the DOT compliances and follow them to keep your business afloat.
Therefore, we, as DOT consultants, are here to present 7 important DOT compliance that call center owners need to know about.
Don’t record the CVV2 number or any other information of your client’s credit cards
2. PIN Numbers.
To enforce this while your call center records call for security and training purposes, you should add an API fix. A simple Application Programming Interface will stop the recording when the customer is adding their payment details, and resume the recording once that’s done.
You are not allowed to record your client’s or your agent’s conversation without their consent
Keep track of all the employees with access to sensitive customer information
Employees that work for you at your call center should be assigned a unique ID. Through this ID, you should keep a track on their activities, especially if they have access to sensitive information.
By providing your call center executives a unique ID, you’ll be able to find the source if any customer information or your call center company’s information is stolen, leaked or corrupted.
As a measure to provide better security to the customer information, you should opt for a two-step authentication process. It’s an important step if you’re giving access of information to employees that are accessing your network from remote locations.
Related Content: ISP License
Train your agents every year in matters of DOT compliance rules
Training your employees with DOT compliance rules only once is not enough. There are two reasons for that:
1. Employees can’t retain everything from a single training: DOT compliance rules should be followed at all times, and without any error. However, keeping up with the complex rules is hard.
2. DOT Compliance rules change too often: Over the last couple of years, we have seen many amendments in the telecom policies. Therefore, you can’t expect the rules that you follow currently to hold up in future. What you follow now can be rendered irrelevant tomorrow.
So, what’s the solution? Repeated training on an yearly basis. It has two benefits:
1. Your employees would be able to retain a lot of information because of repeated training.
2. Your employees would be able to keep up with changes of DOT guidelines and policies.
You keep your employees compliant to the rules, you yourself would remain DOT compliant – giving no chance to the Department to doubt you.
Your agents shouldn’t react negatively towards customers
The customers are often rude, impatient, and at times, can appear downright evil. However, as someone running a call centre, you should motivate your employees to maintain uncommon grace while dealing with such customers. You should never:
1. Be rude to the customer: It antagonizes you in the eyes of Department of Telecommunication.
2. Threaten the customer to pay their bills: If the customer’s aren’t willing to pay, remind them nicely of the rules and policies of your organization.
3. Talk with such customers in a violent manner: It suppresses the quality of services that you want to provide.
Rudeness is just an expression of fear, a fear that you’re not good enough. Trust us, as DOT compliance consultants, we know that you do all in your power to do the right thing.
File your DOT compliance returns on time
DOT compliance returns are forms that inform the Department about the status of your call center business. There are two types of returns in DOT compliance. They are:
1. Annual returns: In which you have to furnish the financial, client and employee details and send them to the Department.
2. Event Based Returns: The DOT compliance to inform the Department about the sudden changes in personnel, training or location of your call center company.
Filing annual compliance returns ensure that your business always appears to be right in the eyes of the department.
Always expect a surprise inspection
Department of Telecommunication of India is like a god. It’s benevolent, watches over your business even though you don’t know, and can act malevolently if you don’t do things right. In one of it’s any acts, it can send officials to your call center for a surprise inspection. You should always expect it and:
1. Give them all the access that they require from you.
2. Provide them with all the call logs as per their demands.
3. Let them take a peek at your security systems if they so desire.
Bottom line is, already be ready to serve the needs of the DOT officials when they arrive at your operations center.
DOT compliances are quite complex. Thus, our DOT consultants have done everything within their power to simplify them for your requirement. So, to condense the seven points:
1. Don’t save your payment method’s information.
2. Don’t act rudely against your customers.
3. Train your agents on an yearly basis.
4. Keep an eye on your employees with access to information.
5. File your DOT compliance returns on the prescribed time.
6. Always expect for there to be a surprise inspection.
7. Don’t record calls if you don’t have the permission.
If this article isn’t still simple enough for you, or you need help filing the DOT compliance, our DOT consulting services are just a phone call away. Just pick up the phone and call us. Don’t worry. It won’t be recorded, and if you are worried it would be, you can always disconnect.